Tosa Band is BACK!!
August 31, 2022
Wauwatosa Community Band is back on the schedule this fall! If you’re a member of the band, or want to be, keep reading. If you are excited to attend our concerts, here are the dates you need to know: December 6th and May 16th with a Tosa Jazz concert on January 31st. We’ll have an abbreviated concert schedule this year so that the band can ease back into things. It’s hard when you haven’t played together in two years!
Rehearsals begin next week Tuesday, September 6th, at 7:00pm. We rehearse at Longfellow Middle School on 76th and North. If you don’t know where the band room is, please see the “About Us” page for a map and directions. Rehearsals will last approximately 1 hour.
PLEASE be ready to play by 7:00pm so we can make best use of a short time. At our first rehearsal, we’ll play a little, then break into sections and disperse so you can get [re]acquainted, and then return for a little more playing.
PLEASE, oh please, bring your folder and concert music from March of 2020 if you still have them!!!
In order to keep rehearsal times short (and allow everyone a chance to build up their stamina again), we’ll divide the season into three sections:
- Concert band: Rehearses September 6th — November 29th
Winter Concert–December 6th
- Tosa Jazz: Rehearses December 13th — January 24th
Mid-Winter Concert: January 31st
- Concert Band: Rehearses February 7th — May 9th
Spring Concert: May 16th
NO REHEARSALS FOR EITHER GROUP:
- November 1st
- December 27th
- February 21st
- March 28th
Tentatively, we’ll plan on playing at Wauwatosa’s Memorial Day Observance, on Monday, May 29th (time TBD, but usually in the morning), with a rehearsal on Tuesday, May 23rd, at 7:00pm.
Pursuant to school district policy, no particular covid protocols will be required, although band members are welcome to wear masks or use bell covers. That being said, these are our requests to facilitate a safe season:
- If you have the tiniest of symptoms (sore throat, cough, sniffles), STAY HOME! Our schedule has some leeway built into it to allow for the possibility of lower attendance. The risk of being slightly less prepared than you’d like is not as great as the risk of infecting others.
- Should you test positive in the week following a rehearsal, please notify us. Either Donna: email@example.com, 414.807.4915; or Steve Birney at the Rec Dept: firstname.lastname@example.org, 414.773.2900.
- For anyone who “dumps spit” from their horn, please bring a towel or piddle pad.
We realize that not everyone may be comfortable with this scenario, and as always, we encourage you to make your own decisions based on your particular and unique situation. There is no one-size-fits-all answer, and we respect your decision to attend or not attend rehearsals.